Treatment for Near Vision
If you are like many people over age 40, you may find it hard to read fine-print or focus on any objects and tasks done close-up. Reading glasses work to correct this condition, called presbyopia, yet they can be a real nuisance. Not only can readers add years to your appearance, but many of our patients in the Northwest suburbs of Chicago complain that they are constantly losing their readers. If you’re looking for a long-term alternative solution for near vision treatment, read on to learn about Raindrop Near Vision Inlay.
Basics of Raindrop Near Vision Inlay
A corneal inlay is a tiny, thin, curved and transparent disc. Approximately the size of a pinhead, this technology is composed from a material similar to a soft contact lens and contains about 80% water. Raindrop Near Vision Inlay resembles the clear front part of your eye and offers an effective solution to near vision loss commonly experienced with aging.
The corneal inlay helps to reshape your eye surface. In a simple procedure that takes only about ten minutes, your eye surgeon will implant it just beneath the surface of the eye. It is placed in the non-dominant eye and gives you a lasting solution to presbyopia. Usually, within one week you will see a remarkable improvement in your near and intermediate vision.
Typical Results of Raindrop Near Vision Inlay
One week after surgery, most patients saw an improvement in their near vision of up to five lines on a standard eye chart – without any need to put on reading glasses. After two years, the results remained impressive. About 98% of patients could read a newspaper, 76% could read an email on-screen, and most patients were able to see everyday objects without readers. Imagine the convenience and freedom of seeing tiny objects and fine-print fonts – books, restaurant menus, smartphone screen, needlework – without putting on and taking off reading glasses ever again!
- Before Surgery
- If the Raindrop Inlay sounds like an appealing type of near vision treatment for you, your first step is to book a consultation with our Hoffman Estates, Illinois, eye doctors. We will perform an eye exam to determine your candidacy.
- Once we decide that you are eligible for this breakthrough procedure, your eye doctor will insert a removable contact lens to verify that you are able to cope well with the change in your vision. You will need to wear this lens for five days. If you find that the new vision works for you, it’s time to schedule the procedure.
- In preparation for your surgery, you will need to apply a steroid eye drop for two days before the procedure.
- Be sure to make travel arrangements for getting home after your surgery, as you will not be able to drive yourself.
- Day of Surgery
Your eye doctor will administer a numbing eye drop before the surgery to ensure that you won’t feel any pain. The procedure takes about ten minutes, during which you will need to lay on your back and focus on a light. The eye surgeon will cut a flap in your cornea with a laser device (similar to how LASIK is done), and then implant the Raindrop Near Vision Inlay into your cornea; it is placed in the middle layer. Now, all that’s left is to replace the flap and the surgery is over. There is no need for stitches; the eye heals well on its own.
- After Surgery
You will be able to return to your normal routine on the day after the surgery. Your eye doctor will instruct you regarding the guidelines to follow for proper, safe, and quick healing:
- Don’t rub your eyes, play sports, wear makeup, smoke, swim, exercise or garden for a minimum of one week after the surgery.
- Avoid dusty environments in the week or so after you receive a Raindrop Near Vision Inlay
- Wear an eye shield at night for about 4 weeks. This helps to prevent you from rubbing your eye while dozing.
- Use antibiotic and steroid eye drops (your eye doctor will give you a prescription), along with artificial tears. Altogether, these medications minimize your risk of eye inflammation, infection, and dry eye.
Follow-Up Eye Exams
Ideally, we recommend that you visit your eye doctor on the day after the surgery, one week later, one month later, and every six months following the procedure. If you experience any complications or issues with your new Raindrop Near Vision Inlay, please contact our Hoffman Estates, Illinois, office immediately to book an eye exam.